Provident: prudent, thrifty, sensible, economical

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

More on Amazon


Patrick had a great post about Amazon last week, so this is building on his suggestions. I used to only use Amazon for books. Then it occurred to me that other items might be cheaper there as well. We've found great deals on Amazon for numerous items, including computer parts and other electronics, exercise equipment, and DVDs. It has also been great for items that were tough to find in a brick- and-mortar location, like a baby food grinder. One of the more recent finds was a cell phone. The screen on my old phone broke, and my first thought was that I would need to buy a new one from our carrier—an expensive option since I didn't have any kind of phone insurance and was not eligible for a new phone. I decided to check Amazon. It turns out that you can buy an "unlocked." cell phone off Amazon for way cheaper than what you'd pay from a carrier. I got a great phone for $30 (and free shipping). I didn't even need to contact the carrier—just switched the SIM card to the new phone and it works great.

Of course, as with any type of shopping, you have to be careful to not buy things you weren't planning to buy and don't need. But as long as I'm getting an item anyway, it's probably worth checking online to see if it's cheaper. 

This may sound obvious, but another huge benefit to Amazon and other online retailers is the convenience factor. Before having kids, I took for granted how easy it was to shop. It becomes exponentially more difficult with children. If I can price compare from my own home, order something that will arrive at my doorstep in a few days, AND is cheaper than in the store, that's an easy decision.

2 comments:

  1. There are a number of benefits that you can get by taking out insurance for your mobile phone. You can get your mobile phone repaired or replaced without paying extra cost. But selecting and purchasing a Phone Insurance is not a piece of cake. There are so many companies in the market which provide insurance for your phones. Be careful at the time of taking any phone insurance. Don't accept such mobile phone insurance which comes along with the new mobile phone as you will require to pay high premiums as compared to the premiums offered by other mobile phone insurances.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A bit more on amazon, I have a Kindle and I just discovered that you can rent books from your local library and have it sent directly to your Kindle. I went to the Williamsburg public library on-line (http://wrl.lib.overdrive.com/A0CAAA41-B952-4F47-8281-537DB54E810A/10/905/en/Default.htm) and searched for a book I was interested in, which lately is WWII related (The Pacific by Hugh Ambrose). Once I find the book I want I added the book to my Ebook cart. Upon checkout you are directed to an Amazon site where you check out the book and it will be sent to you for a rental of 7, 10, or 21 days. The best part is it’s free and all you need is a library card. The variety of books is pretty good and it seems to be growing daily. I just love the fact that I can rent current titles (not buy) and I can do it from the convenience of my own home.

    ReplyDelete