Provident: prudent, thrifty, sensible, economical

Friday, November 11, 2011

Brown Bag Lunches


I have a lot of ideas I’m excited to share, but I’ll start with a simple one. Bringing your own lunch to work or school every day can save A LOT of money.  It has long amazed me how few people bring their lunch from home. I’m not sure if it’s a convenience issue or if it doesn’t occur to most people how much it can save.

A while back I calculated the cost of my routine (but delicious) lunch of a turkey and Swiss cheese sandwich, chips, apple, and sometimes a yogurt or some cookies. It was just over $1 and is more food than I would get for $6 at the school café. Bringing my lunch saves us well over $100 a month.

As a side note, my wife thinks it’s bizarre that I eat the same thing for lunch every day. She’s probably right, but fortunately you can bring just about any lunch from home and it will be way cheaper than buying it at the restaurant down the street from the office.

1 comment:

  1. It is true. Packing a lunch doesn't really look cool, and you may have to put it in a sleek briefcase if you are interning somewhere, but you save so much money.

    I have heard that the price of peanut butter is going to skyrocket, though, so you may want to stock up so your lunches stay cheap if you are a PB&J person.

    ReplyDelete