Provident: prudent, thrifty, sensible, economical

Monday, January 9, 2012

In House Barbershop

Mens’ haircuts are really overpriced. I don’t know of a place in town that offers one for less than $15, and with the expected tip, it’s even more. Of course that’s a lot less than a woman’s cut, but men’s cuts are so ridiculously simple (at least the clean-cut, classic type) that paying $15 seems silly. My wife does a great job of cutting my hair and I actually trust her more than the barber to do it right. And she doesn't charge me a cent. Crazy.

The tradition actually started when I was a teenager and my brothers and I talked mom into buying us clippers and letting us teach ourselves to cut hair. She cringed at the first few attempts, but we got better with practice and saved a lot of money. Even with a conservative estimate of a haircut only once every two months, and using the $15 figure, that’s six cuts a year = $90 in savings. The only up front cost is the clippers, but you can get a great set with lots of attachments for around $40.

Maybe if grad school doesn’t pan out, I’ll become a barber :).

1 comment:

  1. James has been cutting his own hair for years. He hasn't been able to convince me to do it for him yet as I'm terrified of what the outcome will be, and he does a great job by himself anyway. I'm so grateful for the small investment he made in his clippers as it's saved us hundreds of dollars and will save us even more when our own boys grow in to needing haircuts.

    ReplyDelete